The Australian Pecan Association Incorporated (APA) is a not-for-profit incorporated association of approximately 50 members.
Whilst the majority of members are growers, membership also includes nut processors and buyers and sellers of nuts. APA was founded in 1996 by a group of growers with assistance from the then NSW Department of Agriculture Pecan Extension Officer Ross Loebel. It is estimated that over 75% of Australian growers are members of APA and that they produce 95% of the Australian annual production. APA provides services to members, including this website, regular newsletters, field days, information seminars, and other opportunities to exchange information with members.
The main aspects addressed in our newsletters and field days have included:
- Nursery and orchard practices, such as pruning, variety selection, orchard floor management, irrigation, nutrient requirements etc.
- Processing requirements and options
- Marketing information
- Biological and organic farming
- Medical research data into health benefits
- Australian and international markets for nuts
APA Rules of Association
The objectives described below and the Constitution of The Australian Pecan Association Incorporated (vFeb2019) forms the structure within which the APA operates.
The APA’s constitution was developed from NSW Fair Trading’s “model constitution”, which covers the matters required by law under the Associations Incorporation Act 2009.
A committee elected by members at our Annual General Meetings, manage the Association. All of the committee’s work is provided on a voluntary basis and there is currently no paid support staff. The committee comprises:
- Vice President
- Committee Members
- Subcommittees (as required)
The Association was established with the following objectives:
- To foster the development, expansion and promotion of all aspects of the Australian pecan nut industry
- To accumulate, record and distribute information about the industry helpful in:
- Selection of suitable growing areas
- Choice of varieties
- Establishment of nurseries
- Orchard management
- Harvesting and quality control
- To organise field days of relevance to the industry
- To foster and promote the goodwill among the association, members and the general public
- To collate industry statistics to facilitate lobbying for research and other industry assistance